Saturday, September 19, 2009

In the Wish I'd Written that category

but well, definitely not wishing I'd gone through the formative experience required:

"...the late Israeli poet Dan Pagis, a Polish-born internationally known linguist who survived a notorious Nazi death camp at the River Bug in Romania where forty thousand Jews are believed to have been killed in just four days. One of Dan Pagis's best known poems is a spare piece that manages to encompass the catastrophe endured by twentieth century European Jewry in just six lines, called "Written in Pencil in the Sealed Railway-Car" ("Katuv b'iparon bakaron hehatum"):

here in this carload
i am eve
with abel my son
if you see my other son
cain son of man
tell him that i


-----------------------------------------
I mean .. wow. Just .. wow.

(lifted from Unholy War, a book on the Middle East mess)

No comments: