Friday, May 29, 2009

Every man's death diminishes me

Well, actually, I've never seen eye to eye with Donne on this one - some people's deaths diminish noone, and are nothing but a blessing.

Not this time, tho: my ex-wife, Shirley, has died. As far as I can tell from this distance, died in hospital so presumably the brain tumour did come back and grab her. I'm glad of this, as it was a tossup whether depression drove her to suicide, or one of her ailments wound up killing her, and suicide always seems such a negative, stupid way to go (barring voluntary euthanasia I guess).

Hopefully at some point I'll hear what exactly happened - last I heard from her, 2 months ago, she was in remission, and heading off for an extended vacation in the South Island on her motorbike. I guess something happened & it came back again.

It feels pretty empty here, thinking about her, and Kay, and Pip, all dead and gone now. I know, as you get older, your friends start dying off, but I didn't think it'd start quite this soon (soon hahah, like I'm still a youngster).

Poor Shirley, she didn't want that much from life - just a normal life, husband & kids & house in the suburbs. Doesn't seem like too much to ask for, really, but she never got there: too damaged growing up, and then horrendous picks in men, over and over (of course the one leads to the other, given what her father was like). Not that she was ever going to get the normal life with me, but since then, oh dear what a bunch of scum she chose: I guess a pretty fair reflection of the father-figure thing.

Ah well, ave atque vale Shirl - Sorry I was a lousy husband, glad I was your friend for the last 20 years.

No comments: