Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Baby its cold outside!

Well so much for the hot-weather south! We got snowed on Monday, enough that there was ground-cover most of the day, which the locals were saying hadn't happened in 50 years*, and it's still bitterly cold: I think yesterday's high was 2 or 3, and the forecast for Thursday & Friday is a high of -5 or so.**

It's not actually as chilly as Wellington winters outside tho, as there is little moisture and almost no wind, so no windchill or drenching effects .... just the slow seeping cold inside, if you dont crank up the central heating or dress warm.

It does make the driving on concrete bridges terribly treacherous though, as the overnight dew freezes into ice sheets and streaks and renders tire grip negligible - and of course, Arkansas isn't coping with it very well, not being used to it, so we're trying to stay at home as much as we can & I've been working from home all week.

Which is not terrible, as I've got this stupid support-hose to wear on my left leg til next monday, and it is a collossal pain in the posterior: pinching, uncomfortable, keeps riding down my leg & needing adjustment, and makes me walk funny, so I'm not sorry to NOT be hobbling around work looking even more peculiar than usual.


*which is about as reliable as spring sunshine really
** Apparently caused by an Arctic Oscillation

No comments: