Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gearing up

Well probably not much from me this week - we're furiously packing & getting ready to move on Friday. We moved the last of the toy soldiers last night (hurrah!) - I wanted to handle all those myself for obvious reasons - and that feels like a large incubus to be rid of. The books are all packed and ready to go, the kitchen is mostly packed, the CDs & stuff are done, but it still feels like there is a ton to pack. Plus cleaning, although Cat has hired 2 of her friends to help do the cleanup, which I think is a good investment, given our lack of energy, time, and knees.

The new place is getting worked on this week, with the carpets being lifted, and the hardwood floors sanded & refinished with polyurethane, & I'm looking forward to seeing the result of that. We went and bought track lighting for the lounge - which is becoming my games room - as it has no lighting at all, just powerpoints. I guess it was lit with floor lamps previously, but it seems a very odd approach to me.

Mind you, I've noticed that all the houses I've seen in the US so far seem to be poorly lit: our current house has a massive lounge (well, 30x14 roughly) with a single light point down one end. Even with a couple of multi-bulb lamps in it, it feels dim and dingy at night. Not my idea of good living at all. I suppose this arose from the 70s when it was a way of economising on energy & cutting expenses, but it seems a needless pennypinching approach to me: simply turning off lights that you dont currently need will save more (and only having one TV would save twenty times as much energy of course).

Oh well, and today of course I'm trying to get ahead at work, to avoid being called in while I'm off doing the moving thing (as from tomorrow, through to Monday). Impossible really, but I can bash heads a bit to get ahead.

No comments: