Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Cars, again

On the bright side, now that we've got our own car, I can start driving again - and I did so, last Sunday.

We went back to the Starving Artists cafe, as it had (a) really good interesting food, (b) delicious deserts, (c) isn't a chain, and (d) has lots of baaad art on the walls, allowing us to feel comfortably superior, plus a bit of quite good stuff that we could gawk at.

Sadly, that turns out to be their last brunch - they're located right in the middle of the CBD, and weekends, it's just a desert, man: No shops around to speak of - they're all out in the suburban malls - so noone much goes into town. They've also cut back their evening openings from 3 or 4 nights a week to just Fridays, and survive on weekday lunches, when they do a really roaring trade. Despite this, they've decided to move the cafe to North Little Rock, somewhere closer to residential areas: I'm hoping they will then resume brunches in the weekend.

Driving there & back was actually very simple and easy, once I got over my initial nerves - a month of sitting beside Cat when she was doing all the hard work, seems to have really helped me adjust more easily to this driving on the wrong side of the road business: Not that I don't periodically have to mutter to myself 'rightie tightie, leftie loosie' when executing a turn, but I haven't actually tried to turn into oncoming traffic, which can only be a good sign. I even felt safe enough to make a couple of other minor excursions, to do some shopping. Actually, driving a brand new car certainly feels pretty good!

Saturday we spent mostly building kitset furniture - 2 DVD racks, 2 computer desks (one to serve as my painting station), and 2 computer chairs. We actually bought 3 desks, but they are so large that we've decided to try and share one for both PCs - certainly seems large enough - and that means we can put the third one together to serve as Cat's workstation for sewing & the quilting that she's now busily engaged with.

No comments: