Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Well I guess that's good news

Hmm, been a bit scary here for the last few days.

I started having a pounding pulse & rapid heartbeats, together with a pain in the left of my chest, not all the time, but coming occasionally and going. Rather hard and terrifying to think about, or try to handle, really.

But, I made an appointment, waited, and tried to increase my daily exercise in the meantime. It turns out to be a rather simple problem, a depletion of potassium in my blood due to prescription diuretics (to help with a swollen ankle/foot), so a switch of pill, and a potassium pill (designed for horses from the size of it) seem to be the straightforward solution.

Whew :)

One thing I'm relatively pleased with, is being able to look at the problem and deal with it at all - it used to be my wont to shy away/run away even when that was a terminally (bad joke) bad idea: for almost a decade I had a lump under my left nipple, which I tried really hard not to think about at all, until I gathered the courage to tell Cat (not long after we started living together) and she helped me get to a doctor to have it examined ... turned out to be a benign cyst which he removed with a small clinic surgery procedure. A decade of spasmodic bouts of worry and terror, for naught, pretty stupid really.

It would have been good to get over this idiotic attitude earlier in life, but, eh, so be it, better late than never.

--------------------------------------
Wandering off onto something less scary and more bizarre (OK, even more bizarre):
I keep getting pinged (er, stopped, queried, laughed at, asked to explain, whichever) by my use of strange words of excessive length and obscurity. Now, I know I do love strange obscure and antique words, but the ones I'm being hauled up on, I would have thought absolutely commonplace and normal. Just in the last month, these ones spring to mind:

Felicitations (on a birthday)
Loquacious
Eloquent
Elegant
Miniscule
Convex

oh, and numerous times, Fortnight - this is regarded as a seriously bizarre word in the USA for some reason.

On the other hand, I have to say I loathe the 'ghetto/rap slang' I keep having to deal with, online - pretty much invariably from teenage white boys wanting to be cool - and just to keep up my Grumpy Old Geezer cred, I usually refuse to respond to or acknowledge it, even when I understand (which ain't always).

No comments: