Monday, June 9, 2008

Julie, Don't Go, I said

with apologies to Wayne & Schuster...

Saturday being Cat's birthday, we decided to go for a slightly more upmarket meal than the diners we've been frequented, & booked in to a midprice sort of place called Julie's (part of a chain, I surmise). We had been there once on a quiet Friday evening and found it quite pleasant, wtih good food and service. Not so much, this time.

Despite booking a table, they tried to fit us into a booth (not a great idea at my size), and when that didn't work, tried to seat us at a table in the bar, where we could be entertained by the blaring TV screen. After putting my foot down, we got a table for two, without too much delay.

For the rest, well ... as Cat said, the ice water was very nice: and the service was excellent, I must admit, but the food was, well, the worst we've had since we got here, and as bad as a bad English pub. My prime rib was both tasteless and tough, to the point that I sent it back, & ordered spaghetti and meatballs instead - which turned out to be two (2) meatballs, with a lot of thin spaghetti and a thick tomato/vegetable sauce, basically dull and uninteresting. I managed about a third of it and gave up.

Cat had beef nacho salad, which she had maybe a quarter of - I didn't ask for a critique of it, didn't seem necessary. We left hurriedly for points eastward, and I can't see going back there as an option. (I did leave the waitress a tip, after getting her promise that none of it would go to the kitchen staff - she really did do a great job, with miserable materials).

No comments: